Monday, April 09, 2007

May flowers can kiss my...

Because I've had enough of these April showers!

My two favorite things in the world right now:

1) My iPod
2) Hot showers

My least favorite thing in the world right now:

-> Going out for a ride on a beautiful evening and getting caught in a Monsoon!

It's getting to be something of a running gag these days. I skipped my long ride on Saturday because it was so gross out. So Sunday (after my long run), Jer and I jumped on our bikes and headed out to Central Saanich. We ended up getting rained out but at least it was bearable.

Tonight was another matter. It was sooo beautiful when I left the house. I was so pumped with the good weather, I ended up doing something of a time trial. Since it's a rest week and I'm only supposed to ride for 1:05, I wanted to see just how far I could get in 30 minutes. I was pretty excited to have made it 1/2 way along that little road that leads from Arbutus to Queenswood Dr. I'll have to try again in a month (on my winter bike again) and see how far I get.

Now, it's possible that the wind was at my back because it was certainly in my face for the ride home. And what's with those dark clouds it's pushing towards me? It didn't take long to find out. I turned a corner and hit a wall of wind and pelting rain (hail?) that stung like hell. This is where the iPod came in. When I'm riding solo, I usually put in one ear piece to keep my spirits up and keep one ear open so I can hear the traffic. I tell ya, it's tough to get too upset about the weather when you're listening to "Hella Good"

You've got me feeling hella good
so let's just keep on dancing...

Or biking in my case. Follow that up with Cake singing "going the distance", well... what could I but start hammering back? Ok monsoon, is this the best you got? Just try and keep me from scaling King George. Well, it came back with a vengeance but that didn't matter. It's funny how you don't feel the cold the same way when there's fire in your belly. And every other cyclist you see, you have a bit more respect for than usual because they have the stones to take on the storm with you.

All the same, I was grateful to arrive at home. It was like the weather seized a final opportunity to taunt me as it cleared up right as I reached my door. F*ck you!

I brought my soaking bike in, took the stuff out of my jersey pouches and jumped into the shower with all my clothes on. They're not going to get any wetter. There is a special form of bliss that is reserved for being freezing cold and having the luxury of a hot shower. I realize you're supposed to eat within 1/2 hour of exercising but I just couldn't get enough of that glorious heat.

In fairness, I guess it was the ugly weather that makes me appreciate the good parts more. But I'd still be happy to leave winter behind for a while.


He said: "Now you just fought one hell of a fight
And I know you hate me, and you got the right
To kill me now, and I wouldn't blame you if you do.
But ya ought to thank me, before I die,
For the gravel in ya guts and the spit in ya eye
Cause I'm the son-of-a-bitch that named you "Sue.'"

I got all choked up and I threw down my gun
And I called him my pa, and he called me his son,
And I came away with a different point of view.
And I think about him, now and then,
Every time I try and every time I win,
And if I ever have a son, I think I'm gonna name him
Bill or George!
Anything but Sue!

~Johnny Cash

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home