Saturday, March 17, 2007

Community

A friend of mine told me recently told me that she's moving away. Apart from the fact that she's single and beautiful, I'm also sad because she's a good friend. All the same, I managed to talk her into coming to the tri party tonight to say goodbye to everyone.

Back when I was a youth, they used to have this show called "Cheers" about a local bar whose main appeal was that everyone knows your name. There's a lot to be said for that. The Hebrews (yes, we need to look waaaay back in history) said that your name wasn't simply a handle but a reference to your character. To do something in someones name was to do it in the same character that they would do it in. Combine that understanding with the "Cheers" motif and you've got a tri club. We all have different lives with different needs and desires ... but we all seem to be fueled by the same desire to see what our bodies are capable of. I used to be kind of so-so about going to tri parties but since I've been training for Ironman, I've really felt a need to be around people who understand the desire to push the limit of what we think we're capable of. I love tri parties because (in the Hebrew sense) everyone has the same name. We never need to explain why. It's just understood.

Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name
And they're always glad you came
You want to be where you can see
Our troubles are all the same

You want to be where everybody knows your name

~Gary Portnoy and Judy Hart Angelo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home