Friday, September 01, 2006

At the foot of that great mountain

It's been 4 days since I found myself in Penticton, rubbing my eyes in the early morning sun and wondering when we'd reach the end of the signup line. We'd been told that everyone who lined up was going to get a spot but we didn't want to take any chances. We arrived at 6am and came to a small field where the line was spiraling inward. I could only assume that the people lining up in the ever dwindling space where in more desparate need of a coffee than I was. Someone in our group got people organized and we moved the line out of the circle and it soon trailed down the street past the unopened coffee shops. I went looking for a Starbucks. Surely they'll be open...

They were but the line went all the way out to the street. All I can say is that it was worth the wait. I bought an extra coffee with the intention of selling it but ended up drinking it as well.

A few hours later, the line started moving. 15 minutes after that, I had a piece of paper in my hand with my registration info. We were given two weeks to decide if we really wanted to do an Ironman but I signed up as soon as the online registration opened (today.)

I get asked a lot, why would you want to pay to do that to yourself? and I never really know how to answer. Responding with something like because it's really hard only gets me blank stares. The irony is, I don' t see the race as a form of punishment I'm putting myself through.

It's a test of how well I've prepared myself for the challenge.

Yeah, it's going to be a tough slog but if I've put in the time, I'll survive. Perhaps my best answer for why I'd attempt this is that I want to see if I have what it takes to finish. I want to see if I'm able to pull out all the stops and get it done.


Do or do not. There is no try.
~ Yoda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home