Friday, May 12, 2006

It's not about the bike (yeah, whatever)

I've heard a number of times that it's not so much the bike but it's the engine that matters. In the words of Bill Lumberg, "I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one."

Just for kicks, I took the heavy bike out for my morning ride. It's funny that I think of it as heavy since it used to be my fast bike. In any case, I downgraded my KHS's status when I bought my (all Dura-ace) Cannondale that's 5 lbs lighter. Couple that with lighter shoes and helmet and it's quite a lot of fun. But I wasn't (entirely) after fun this morning. Rather, I thought I'd take all the heavy stuff out and have a bit of a strength training session.

Let me tell you, weight makes a difference! I was amazed at how much steeper King George Tce. had gotten since Wednesday. ~ 3/4 of the way through the ride, I could really feel the burn. Between the tired legs and a body that had been partially frozen from the wicked headwind, I decided to skip the short, brick run that I'd been planning and went strait to the shower. I've got a longer ride planned tomorrow and I'll be sure to do the brick then.


Train hard, fight easy

~ Alexander Suvorov

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home