Sunday, May 07, 2006

P is also for Pacing

My definition of pacing is to pull back in the short term in order to do better in the long. My favorite example is the year I decided slow down my swim and conserve my energy for the hilly run. It worked. I added 30 seconds to my swim time, held my expected bike time and cut 5 minutes off the run. I was pleased, to say the least.

Everyone has told me that the ½ iron is an entirely different race from a sprint (or even an Olympic) distance triathlon. Rather than going flat out, it’s more about knowing your pace and sticking to it. The distances are long and a pace that’s too fast will eventually catch up and drag you down. I’ve found that if I’m having an absolutely shitty workout (usually a run) then I’m probably going too fast. When I slow things down, I often find myself enjoying the workout again, which is ultimately the reason that I’m doing this.

If slowing down isn’t helping and I’m still completely miserable, it’s better to call it quits than to push on. While my body may not be getting the distance it requires, I’m far more likely to attend the next workout if I haven’t decided I hate the sport. Doing a short workout is far better than doing no workout.

A couple of years ago, my training schedule was so intense that I lost all interest in triathlons. I’ve just gotten back into it this year and have been frustrated by constantly being either sick or on the verge of illness. It’s at that point I need to remind myself that pacing also applies on a season by season basis.

It takes time to work up to these things.

Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.

~Author Unknown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home